Friday, March 15, 2013

Self-Worth

There may come a time when you spend 15 minutes crying in a dressing room at Ross. This week has been pretty tough. My stomach pains have intensified. I was able to go out on Tuesday night and teach a couponing class at church. I even ate some of the food, which was all nutritious stuff. We're talking tomatoes, brussel sprouts, strawberries, and things like that. I was in a ton of pain most of Wednesday. I felt like the worst mom because I had the tv turned on because I didn't have enough strength to take my son outside. It hurt me so much that our day was like that.

I was still in pain on Thursday, but I was determined to get KJ out of the house. We dropped Andrew off at work and then we headed over to Goodwill because they were having a $1 sale on some of their items. After we left there, we went to Ross. I let him be free of the shopping cart and he just walked around the store. He was soooo happy. It made me smile. I saw a super cute Easter outfit (blue shirt, pin-striped slacks, and a patterned vest) and I was thinking about buying it. For $13, though, I wanted to make sure it fit right. I couldn't just take it to the dressing room because it had one of those security tags on it that needed to be removed. The lady working the dressing room told me that they would take it off for me up front.

I got up there and there were about three people in line. My stomach was screaming at me because I was holding on to Kayson and because I had been on my feet for a few hours. I reluctantly asked the lady at the front of the line, "Would you mind if we just slipped in front of you to get this thing removed?" She responded, "Actually, yes I do. I have been waiting here in line and so have the other people. You are going to have to get in the back of the line." I was crushed...it would have taken me 10 seconds to get the tag removed. Afterwards, I went to the back of the line and the back-talker in me mentioned something about karma. Fortunately, one of the other ladies let me in front of them. I was able to get the tag off, and I walked to the dressing room with Kayson. Once in there, emotions just got the best of me and I cried and cried and cried. (I'm sure it wasn't only because of that woman, but because I've just been letting things build up with no release.) My sweetheart, Kayson, wrapped his little arms around me as best as he could. I'm so glad I was able to take him to the park to play afterwards.

It is so hard for me to ask other people for help. (I let down my guard and asked that lady in Ross if I could be "helped." And I was shot down.) When I'm that vulnerable, it means that there is a potential for me to be hurt. It's so hard because I want to be able to take my son to all these fun events or even simply outside to play basketball. I want to be the one to clean my house. I want to be able to make dinner for my family instead of asking Andrew to swing by Burger King and pick up dinner for him and KJ. It's so so hard that I just can't do these things myself. Sometimes when people ask me if they can help me, and I know that I need help, but I don't want to admit it because it seriously makes me feel worthless.

Every person is going through trials. There is a reason for it. Being sick, struggling with money, and learning to become humble are my trials for now. It's just something that I must go through, although there are days when I want to say, "Please stop. I'm tired of the pain. That's enough." I was reading a talk from President Eyring called "Mountains to Climb" and some of the things he said really give me so much peace and comfort.

"Trouble itself can be your way to strengthen and finally gain unshakable faith. Moroni, the son of Mormon in the Book of Mormon, told us how that blessing could come to pass. He teaches the simple and sweet truth that acting on even a twig of faith allows God to grow it:

'And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

'For it was by faith that Christ showed himself unto our fathers, after he had risen from the dead; and he showed not himself unto them until after they had faith in him; wherefore, it must needs be that some had faith in him, for he showed himself not unto the world.

'But because of the faith of men he has shown himself unto the world, and glorified the name of the Father, and prepared a way that thereby others might be partakers of the heavenly gift, that they might hope for those things which they have not seen.

'Wherefore, ye may also have hope, and be partakers of the gift, if ye will but have faith.'

"In Their perfect love for you, Heavenly Father and the Savior want you fitted to be with Them to live in families forever. Only those washed perfectly clean through the Atonement of Jesus Christ can be there."

3 comments:

Whitni said...

I hate it when people I don't even know can make me hurt so much. I have been there many times. I wish everyone in the world were sensitive and considerate. When they aren't I feel my faith in mankind shaken. Thank goodness for the times when our sweet babies are there to comfort us.

I have been through periods of debilitating stomach pain and nausea before, but never at the same time or for so long. At those times I felt like I never got anything done and was almost never was able to get out of bed let alone the house. I am amazed every time I see you at church, at play group and especially when you taught that class! In a lot of ways you really are my hero.

If you ever need me, or just would like me and my girls to come by and hang out, please tell me. I could help you cook, clean, or let you take a shower or nap. I could take KJ to my place too, if he would like that or that would help!

WilsonFamily said...

I'm so sorry Shae. That is awful. I know from personal experience it is hard to let your guard down and let others into your personal life and trials. I know when we lived in the apartment complex in Rexburg, I felt like there were people who wanted to snippets of what was going on, but not because they Really wanted to know sincerely. But more so to say they did their part and asked the questions. I felt left out of fun gatherings and excluded because "I was the sick one". I felt like people must have thought I was a hypochonodriac or something, when even I myself had no understanding why out of the blue I started having seizures and fatigue. ~~~~~~Anyway, YOUR family were my angels there. You uplifted me SOO much. Your smile across the parking lot or hello at church brightened up my "week". A tender mercy from the Lord for sure, and I'm so grateful for that. Anyway, I sure hope that your stomach pains can find relief and you can find the "angel" near you to help lift off some of your burdens even if it is just a listening ear. There is that quote, "God does hear us and he answers us, but usually it is through another person that he meets our needs."

Fannie Brown said...

My darling neice I am so sorry to read what happen to you. I have gone through the same thing in the 60 years I've been on this earth. Just like you my faith in God has brought me through. I feel for people that act that way and pray for them. For he said,it will return 10 fore.Who ever it was will recieve it back when they are in need and will be reminded of you.Keep the faith and he will reward you.