Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Picky Eater

Since we switched Kayson to solid foods, it had been a real struggle to get him to eat them. He kept going through different stages of love and hate. One day he would like apples, the next day, "Get that thing out of my face!" I seriously thought that he was going to attempt to live off of breast milk forever! The only sure foods that we could get him to eat were bread, most meats, pasta noodles, and corn. One day, he even decided that he didn't like corn!

It must have been really hard for the kiddo because *most of the time* whenever he would eat lunch, I would just sit at the table with him, but not eat. (So duh, I guess that's where he learned not to eat his food!) I really couldn't do much about it, though, because eating usually made me sick.

Over the past few weeks, the clouds have parted and the sun has come out!!! I am so happy because he's been willing to try different foods now. He's eating apples again and the other day he ate a TON of baby carrots (**gasp**). He LOVES craisins and most other dried fruits. He still won't touch green veggies, but hey, that's okay with me. At least we are making progress.

A few things I have tried:
-Adding a tablespoon of fruit juice to the water in his sippy cup
-Making more things from scratch
-The muffin tin method: I love love LOVE this idea that I got from Pinterest. I bought two muffin tins from Dollar Tree and I use them to divide up all of KJ's food. One muffin tin is for all of his lunch food. I put fruit in spot, veggies in another, and the main course (usually protein) in the other spots. The other muffin tin is used for all of KJ's snacks. I just fill up all six spots with yummies and Kayson goes to it whenever he wants a treat. It makes life easier.

An example of his muffin tin meal: Ham and cheese quesadilla, carrot sticks, and blackberries


I saw this really cute idea on Pinterest called "Sushi for Kids" (http://www.mommygoggles.com/sara-lee-recipes/) and thought I just had to try it!

Photo credit: Mommy Goggles
Basically, you take the crust off a slice slice of bread, then you flatten the bread using a rolling pin. Next, you add different toppings to it. (I have done ham and cheese, and peanut butter sandwiches.) Finally you roll it up, like you do with sushi, and cut it into three sections. Usually if I make a sandwich for KJ, he pulls the two slices of bread apart. With the "sushi," he leaves them intact and eats them!

No comments: