Monday, September 24, 2012

This Weekend

I love weekends. It means that Andrew is home and I get to have some "me" time! It's great! Every two Saturdays, Goodwill has a 50% off sale. When we went two weeks ago, we got there at like 10am and all of the shopping carts were gone and the store was packed. There's something about buying other people's used stuff that people just love. You'd think it was Black Friday or something. Okay okay, so this time I was one of "those" people. I woke up at like 7:15, ate breakfast and headed out.

Since it was still so early, I decided to see if I could find a garage sale. I went over to QT, picked up a strawberry lemonade so that I could break my $20 bill. I didn't want to go to any of the garage sales with big bills. This way I could talk the seller down. I spent $6 at the first sale. I bought a key/mail holder, yarn, some fabric that I turned into three door mats, two life jackets for KJ, some toys, and a wicker trash can and two tissue covers. I think I bought some more stuff there but I couldn't remember.

I got to Goodwill at like 8:30 and there was already a line of like 15 people. The store opened up at 9am. Those people really took off after that stuff. Everyone mainly headed towards the back where the furniture was. I would love to buy some furniture, but we only have our tiny Honda Civic so we wouldn't have a way to get the furniture home. Anyway, I picked up a really cute orange and brown picnic basket/suitcase, a white rack to hang jackets on (I plan to paint it and then modge podge some pretty scrapbook paper on it), some books for KJ, and super cute golden pillow covers.

Other stuff I bought at garage sales: bread box, three pair of slacks, a sweater, and a night stand (I plan on spray painting it yellow-gold and modge podging scrapbook paper to it).


On the way back home, I decided to stop by this place called "Consignment Home." I had been wanting to stop by there because I thought that it would probably be similar to Goodwill or Ross. Well...my expectations were a little low. I pulled into a parking space and the first clue that I had that things weren't as they appeared is that there wasn't a Black person in sight. And there are usually Black people in Goodwill and Ross. Not at this place. And the people were all wearing nice clothes. I had already wasted gas parking the car, so I was going to brave it. I got out of the car, opened up the door to the "Consignment Home," and walked into a place that was way out of my league. The furniture was SUPER nice. The cheapest thing in there was like $50 and it was a lamp. Heck, I could get three boxes of diapers (that would last a few months) for that price. If I wanted a lamp, I could have simply spent $5 at Goodwill.

I didn't want to look all intimidated, though. I walked around the store, sipping my strawberry lemonade, looked at all the furniture, and acted as though I belonged. It was pretty dang fun. Maybe next time I'll walk in there dressed all fancifully and talk with a British accent.

No comments: