Friday, April 20, 2012

Attachment Parenting

Before I became pregnant with Kayson there were so many things that I said I wouldn't do. In my mind, I was going to have him circumcised because that was the norm. I wasn't going to hold him constantly because I didn't want him to become "spoiled." I wasn't going to breastfeed because it was "weird." He was going to sleep in his own bed (crib, bassinet, whatever). My views have completely changed and it all started with Babycenter.

Because of Babycenter, I really started questioning circumcision. I asked Andrew and other family members for their opinions. I even asked the One who matters most--God. I was so torn about this whole issue. One day, I would say, "I can't do that to my baby!" The next day I'd say, "Well...maybe it's okay." The big issue was that I was uninformed, so I set out to find out what was best. I came to the conclusion that there really was no point in circumcising him. So many people were saying, "I wanted him to look like his Dad." Kayson has a different nose than Andrew. I wouldn't have KJ's nose altered just so that it look like Andrew's. Let's put it in this perspective. A little girl's vagina does not look exactly like her moms. Would she need to be circumcised so that she matched? It's only fair, right? The other thing that I heard was that "Uncircumcised boys end up getting more utis because they don't keep themselves clean." Um...there's nothing that I have to do to keep KJ clean. I just wipe it like a finger. I don't have to push the foreskin back or anything. That's actually how some babies get an infection...when their foreskin is forcefully retracted. It will retract on its own. And when it does, all Kayson will have to do is pull the skin back, splash it with some water, and call it a day. It's really no biggie. I'm SO glad that I didn't have him circumcised. I would probably beat myself up so much if something went wrong with the procedure. Some babies foreskin actually ends up reattaching somehow so their parents have to take them in to get ANOTHER circ. I couldn't do that to my baby. Each mother does what she feels it best, though.

Kayson absolutely LOVES to be held. He loves to snuggle. As a newborn, he would cry and cry until Andrew or I held him. It makes sense. I held him in my stomach for so long. He was used to being close to me. I want him to know that I am there for him. And I always will be.

Not many women in my family breastfed their babies. When I made the decision to breastfeed, I got comments, "Ew...you're going to let him suck on your boob." I've also heard, "You need to get that baby a bottle." Breastfeeding is the most beautiful, natural thing. It's a sure way to get Kayson to calm down when he's fussy. I love that he wants ME to feed him. We have a wonderful bond because of breastfeeding. What is so disgusting about that?

Oh, and another plus...IT'S FREE.

KJ has never liked sleeping by himself. Before his birth, we bought a travel bassinet because we knew we would be moving a few weeks later and we would have to travel. He hated that bassinet! After a few days, I gave in and let him sleep in the bed next to me. He slept so much better and so did I. He would actually go about 4-5 hours before he wanted to eat again. Now he's almost 9 months and still sleeping in our bed. He naps in his own crib, though. Since he's still wanting to nurse every 2 hours, I just thought it would be easier to keep him in our bed. The three of us fit pretty comfortably in that queen sized bed. This pretty much describes Kayson: "Frequent night nursing is characteristic of high-need children. It's like going to their favorite restaurant. The ambiance is peaceful, the server is familiar, the cuisine is superb, and they love the management. Who can blame the all-night gourmet?" (http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/night-weaning-12-alternatives-all-night-nurser) I know that eventually Kayson is going to grow up and not want me around all the time. I'm learning to enjoy the time I have with my boy. Sleep is in my future...even if it's not in my near future.

1 comment:

Kimberley said...

I love nursing, too. My baby sleeps best on his own though. 6hrs at the beginning, now at a year old for 12hrs. He's only nursing twice a day now. I agree, nursing is free- big plus!- and it's the way God intended. Formula tries and fails to be as good for babies as natural breast milk. I also love that it makes you quite irreplaceable and bonds you together. Keep it up! Sounds like you're becoming a great mother!