Saturday, June 30, 2012

CRAZY Grocery Trip

Last night I got so high! High off of shopping with coupons! It was definitely the best grocery trip that I've had. I paid about $16 for $130 worth of stuff! When we went to the store, I had my list all ready to go. Something I didn't plan was finding that the bbq sauce (which were .59 each) I wanted to buy had coupons on them for $2 off country time or kool-aid canisters. I checked the price of the canisters and they were on sale for $1.69! Whoo hoo! So, I ended up buying a few of those canisters.

Andrew and I had finished shopping, but I knew that I wanted to get more bbq sauce, huggies wipes, and kool-aid. I just didn't want my coupons to go to waste! While we were gathering the stuff, I told Andrew that if I spent more than $4, I was going to be a little upset because I had it all planned out. In the coupon world, people do "cashier profiling." The idea behind it is to find someone who looks like they won't give you trouble. Usually those cashiers are male and they are on the younger side. I got up to the register and the guy rang up all of my stuff. It was $31 before coupons. After my shopper's card took the price down, I gave him the coupons and watched that price drop to -0.08! That's right, they owed me money! He asked the girls what he was supposed to do and they were like, you have to put it on a gift card. I declined. I didn't want to take their money, but I sure took my stuff out with a HUGE smile on my face. The other cashiers were looking at me kind of funny. They probably thought I cheated the system or something, but I didn't! I did honest shopping with coupons. It's just that pairing the sales with the coupons allowed me to not pay much.

Here's a picture of everything that I got last night:

4 containers of Huggies wipes 
9 bottles of Dial hand soap (FREE)
3 boxes of Magnum Ice Cream
12 bottles of bbq sauce
6 Hefty storage bags (.19 cents EACH!)
4 canisters of Kool-aid (FREE)
1 canister of Countrytime (FREE)

3 Skintimate shaving cream
2 Beech Nut Fruties (FREE)

5 bottles of Ken's Salad Dressing (FREE)

If you divide the price by the amount of items, then you'll see that I paid about .33 per item! What a trip! And I see have a coupon (called a catalina) for $2 off my next order. Now I see why people coupon. Every trip isn't like this, but I get the stuff that I need and I don't pay full price. 


Here's what I got from my trip on Wednesday night. 

I spent 17.74, but I got $66.06 worth of stuff. That's what typical savings look like. About 70% savings. It doesn't take much work to save money for your family, but it does take the will to do it. You just get to a point in your life when you say, "I can do so much better." I've reached that point.

No comments: