Monday, October 29, 2012

And So It Begins...

Losing weight isn't a bad thing for a lot of people in this world, but it is for me. In high school, I weighed 115 pounds, 120 in college, 160 at 9 months pregnant, and now I'm down to around 115 again. I'm having trouble fitting into my size 1 jeans! That's how tiny my waist is right now. I know a lot of women wish they could have that problem, but I'm not one of them.

Kayson's molars are coming in, and I've been pretty miserable (as I'm sure he is). He has been wanting to nurse a lot during the daytime and at night and I just can't keep up. Bedtime was pretty rough two nights ago. He was seriously up every 10-15 minutes. I woke up on Sunday morning exhausted and sick. We didn't go to church because I was so tired. When Kayson went down for his morning nap, I went to sleep, too. I slept for like 3 hours. I'm just not able to keep up with him anymore. I'm not able to eat and drink enough for me AND him. It was fine when he was a newborn, but now that he's a toddler with a toddler appetite, things have got to change. I love breastfeeding my little guy, but I need to be healthy. That's why tonight we're starting the journey of night-weaning.

The reason why I've put it off so long is because Kayson is very strong-willed. We've done modified cry it out, full on cry it out (broke my heart), having Andrew go in and comfort him, giving him water...all these things have worked a tiny bit. I've even tried to let him stay in bed with us and refuse to give him chichi. It didn't work out so well because I ended up being tired and frustrated so I just gave in. Tonight I'm going to have to start being just as strong-willed as my little man. I've heard a lot about Dr. Jay Gordon's method, so that's what we're going to do.

The first three nights: "Between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., cuddle and feed short, put him down awake, rub, pat, talk until he falls asleep and repeat this cycle only after he’s slept and reawakened."

The second three nights: "The nursing to sleep stops at 11 p.m. When he wakes up, hug him and cuddle him for a few minutes, but do not feed him, put him down awake."

The next four nights:  "Don’t pick him up, don’t hug him. When he awakens after 11 p.m., talk to him, touch him, talk some more, but don’t pick him up. Rub and pat only. No feeding either, obviously. He will fall back to sleep. Repeat the rubbing and talking when he reawakens. By the end of the ninth night, he will be falling back to sleep, albeit reluctantly for some babies and toddlers, with only a rub and a soothing voice."

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

I am so nervous about this. I love cuddling Kayson, and I love nursing him. There's something so precious about him snuggling into my breast to go to sleep. It's just time for me to take care of me in order to better take care of him. It's been 15 months and I haven't had more than 3 hours of sleep at a time. (Well...actually it's been longer than that if you count pregnancy and waking up to pee and/or puke or just being super uncomfortable.) We'll see how things go. Wish me luck...I'm going to need it.

No comments: