Monday, October 1, 2012

Our New Ward

In most of the wards that I've been in, I've been able to feel this kind of closeness with the members. In Georgia, I knew most of everyone's names. I held other people's babies. I sang in the church choir. I would go to some of the youth dances. I learned how to bake cookies. I fed baby goats.

Once I moved up to Rexburg, I really enjoyed the single wards, too! It seemed like people really cared. I ended up getting pretty sick during my second semester there and there was not a lack of help. I remember having such a hard time getting up and down the stairs at my apartment complex. Guys would literally carry me up and down the stairs. Everyone was always so understanding and compassionate. The Bishop there was pretty amazing too. There were always fun things to do. Hanging out at the sand dunes, staying up late with roommates, country/swing/latin dancing on campus, riding four-wheelers...

When Andrew and I got married, we moved into a married student ward. We were there for two years. We met so many people...it was great! We got invited (and invited others) to dinners, to game nights...People would help out when I got sick. They would make meals for our little family. They would come over and give blessings. I just felt at home there. Andrew and I taught Sunday School and it wasn't your typical Sunday School, but we did our best. We never really felt pressured.

I remember one of my good friends coming over to our apartment one day. I had been feeling really frustrated. I had been on bed rest for forever, at least that's how it seemed. There was no a/c and I was 40 pounds heavier than I had been nine months prior and I couldn't even leave the apartment. I was just stuck. She came over and I just boohoo'ed in her arms. Things were so hard out there, but I always knew that I had a friend.

I'm here in Arizona now. I'm trying to make an effort. This new ward seems like it will be good for me. There are a lot of younger couples out here. Everyone's trying to help out everyone else. There seems to be a special spirit about this ward. Someone has come to sit by me each Sunday. I've also been trying to move around a bit. I've made a special effort to reach out and serve. I think it's because I don't feel pressured. There's something about people pressuring me that makes me want to push back. We're having time to adjust to a new location. I'm getting my footing.

I'm tired, though. Really tired. Something is missing and I'm not really sure what it is. But I plan on finding out.

No comments: